Burns Court was constructed in 1925 and 1926, and
it is designated on the National Register of Historic Places.
Today, Burns Court includes an eclectic mix of homes, businesses and buildings.
The St. Petersburg Times has described Burns Court as “...an impeccably preserved block of small stucco homes built in 1925 and 1926 by Owen Burns, the developer who at one time owned 75 percent of Sarasota.” Also in 1925, Burns' company began the construction of Ca d'Zan, the mansion north of downtown where his friend, circus magnate John Ringling, would reside. The houses on Burns Court are decorated with architectural flourishes left over from that and other grand projects. Miami architect and town planner Andres Duany, the guru of New Urbanism, cited the short street known as Burns Court as an architectural precedent that should be emulated in any new construction.
The Burns Court Historic District consists of fifteen concrete block and masonry construction, stucco-finished, Mediterranean Revival Style, one-story bungalows, each with its own one-car garage housed in nine original garage outbuildings. Burns Court was constructed from 1924 to 1925 by the prominent developer, Owen Burns, with designs by Thomas Reed Martin of Martin Studios of Sarasota. The dwellings are located on a “U” shaped vehicular access lane called “Burns Court” which is approached from the west side of the 400-block of South Pineapple Avenue. Burns Court was built as a co-operative subdivision.